Thursday, February 16, 2012

Closed Windows

While we're on the topic of windows, I'd like to show you another type of fascinating window.  It exists in countries throughout the Middle East and North Africa, but is most prevalent in Tunisia.



Like other North African countries, Tunisians speak two languages, Arabic and French.  In French these windows are called mucharabier (ch pronounced sh).  The Arabic word is mutated from the Spanish 'galleria' or gallery, but often comes out sounding like 'gonorrhea'. *   I think I'll stick with the English translation, 'enclosed window'. 

*Many thanks to M and K Ayachi in Tunisia,  for helping me remember the proper terms and spellings of these French and Arabic words.



While these windows are architecturally popular and seen in many different countries, I expect they are being used less and less for the purpose they were intended.  In the muslim culture, it is forbidden for females to have face to face contact with males outside the immediate family.  Women are to cover their faces when in public and to never show their faces to men.  The mucharabier allowed young women to "see" men, or their suitors, while peering at them through the designs in the wood, without offending themselves or bringing shame to the family.  And while our modern world has progressed in so many areas, there are still conservative families, and countries, that continue to practice the covering of women. 



It is not unusual in downtown Tunis, to see women walking together, one of them dressed and covered in the typical Tunisian way, while the other is dressed in the latest Western fashions, with beautifully coifed hair and perfectly applied makeup.  The variance rests solely on the woman's family, and her own personal choices.

photo from google images

In our modern world, with changes coming at break neck speeds, I respect the conservative muslims who continue to practice this age old tradition.  When we lived in Tunisia I found all this very intriguing, and tried to imagine myself as a teenager, living a "covered" life...........  I couldn't even begin to fathom what it would be like.  Check out my non-muslim friend's post on her blog about the day she dressed in a full burka and went out in Morocco with a non-covered friend here.

So with deep respect, I dedicate this post to all my muslim friends, covered or not.






2 comments:

  1. You were in Tunisia too? Awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. You have much to teach us. I am grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete

Check out these posts too!