Saturday, April 5, 2014

Stencil Do Over

Time for some updates from my end... 
 
Life has been a whirlwind of activity since we moved into our house.  Amongst all the unpacking was decorating and shopping for Christmas, planning our first Christmas dinner in our new home, and trying to settle in to a routine in our new surroundings.
 
The stair risers didn't survive the foot traffic of painters, carpenters, and other workers, so they were painted over.  It's just as well, because the paint colors I had chosen originally didn't quite go with the colors I had chosen for the walls and trim work in the main entrance.  Not to mention the scuffs and dings to the original job were pretty awful.
 
While I wasn't happy about having to do it again, I still felt very strongly about having this unique feature on the staircase.  But it was going to be tricky! With the risers completely connected to the stair treads, I had no choice but to paint them in place.  This meant also having to trim the stencils to the same size of the risers in order for them to lay flat.  I didn't want to do this but truly had no alternative.  Given this dilemma, I really didn't want to compromise all my stencils so I decided to re-stencil using only one design. 
Royal Design Studio's small camel weave, which is my favorite.

 
 
 
 
 
During one of the snowstorms, we lost power and I decided to get started.  It was the perfect time, and the glare from the snow outside provided the perfect lighting.


 
 

As before, the risers were painted with a satin finish, and I stenciled using the same color,
Sherwin Williams Westhighland White, but in a matte finish.


 
 
The final result is tastefully elegant and is stunning without being overwhelming.




3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If you're lucky and there aren't a bunch of TravelinGrits boys home for the weekend, you might just get to choose which room you want to stay in! :)
      Booking in advance would be wise! ;)

      Delete

Check out these posts too!